30/01/2017

Lea (2016)



This is one of my favourite personal pieces I've created so far. It's water colour paint on B5 water colour paper. I found the original photo on tumblr, of french model and actress Lea Seydoux (if you own the original image please let me know so I can credit you!)


I adore drawing eyes, they can be so expressive and emotional. I was taught to appreciate natural lighting, and unedited photos if drawing from reference. The logic being: the more details that are shown, the more interesting your drawing will be... Which is why I was drawn to this image; her eyes were all blotchy and red from crying, but the colours were beautiful.

On a side note, I also tend to draw eyes a lot as I'm - quite frankly - shit at getting the proportions right when it comes to drawing full faces. I'm forever drawing the eyes too close together or the nose too small and not realising until I've already spent however many hours on it, and I'm sorry to say that my pride just couldn't take it anymore!! I am on a full-face-hiatus.

Over the years I've dabbled with different mediums, but one of my favourites has to be water colour. I find it slightly more forgiving than pencil, as if you use enough water and are quick enough you can dab off most mistakes - which is very handy for me!


The initial outlines tend to be the most time-consuming part of the drawing for me. I really hate this stage! 






I love a good progress shot, it's one of my favourite things to see when I follow other artists. It's also great to see your drawing go from a roughly outlined sketch to a fully fleshed out piece.

I'm not sure who these people are who claim they find drawing really relaxing and soothing. I think they're all liars and part of some sort of conspiracy to make the rest of us feel bad. I personally find the initial sketching SO infuriating, and then the first layers when it still looks shit and you can't tell if you've got the proportions right yet... Just thinking about it makes me angry!

If you're an artist please link me to your blog/instagram/etc so I can be nosy!

- Rose X

No comments:

Post a Comment