30/01/2017

Hello 2017

Instagram - RoseLiberty

The cliché "New year, new me" has always niggled at me, however this time I've found myself falling head first into it.



2016 slipped by very quickly for me, but when I look back over it I'm struck by how little I actually achieved. I started it in a new job (within the same company), a relatively new relationship and with ideas of moving out by the end of the year.

The relationship I was in became a routine of big, explosive arguments that dominated my spare time and left me constantly drained and mentally preparing myself for the next battle. My panic attacks and anxiety spiked, and my self care took a back seat. I lacked any energy or motivation, which meant I spent most of the year in bed, watching netflix, and eating crap (when I wasn't at work!).

I'm a big believer in recognising when you're unhappy, and actually doing something to change it. As mentioned, I suffer from severe anxiety and panic attacks, so I make a lot of effort to try and simplify situations and make changes where needed. I no longer let it control me, but it's also a part of who I am and I've had to learn how to work with/around it. I've also learnt that sometimes you have to pick your battles - and that means occasionally putting yourself first. This is one of the hardest things to actually put into practice.
I turned 24 in September and it really hit me that in a year I'll be 25, officially in my mid-twenties. I took a hard look at myself and my life and realised I REALLY didn't want another year to slip by with me miserable and barely paying attention. So with that in mind, before the year was out, I ended my relationship, and managed to get a promotion at work.

I'm starting this year single, with a bit more energy and optimism. I've booked myself in to get my hair chopped off and dyed, which is in itself another cliché, but hey! If you can't refresh your look after a break up, and at the start of a new year, when can you?!

So here we are. My name is Rose, I'm 24 and a bit of a mess, but I'm in the process of getting my shit together. I plan to get back into my art again, and really try be consistent with it this time. I want to travel to new places, and meet new people and all the usual things. But most importantly, I want to be a bit kinder to myself - my self worth and pride took a bit of a beating this last year, but I know I've come a long way to get to where I am now and it doesn't hurt to remind myself that once in a while!

Enough babbling and self reflection from me. Let's show 2017 who's boss!

-Rose X

No comments:

Post a Comment